Monday, July 21, 2008

HCBC

Hickory Cove Bible Camp: The Greatest Place On Earth.

This past week I worked in the kitchen, serving food & drinks, and cleaning up for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. It was so much fun. Now don't get me wrong, it's most definitely hard work, but it's so great to work with such amazing people and meet all the campers.

The week was a normal one, with nothing too exciting happening. I mainly stayed out in the dining room wiping tables, sweeping, mopping, taking out the trash, cleaning bathrooms, etc.. because I couldn't fit my still-swollen foot in close-toed shoes. I tried putting my Chucks on Wednesday morning, but I could hardly walk down to the bathroom (On a brighter note, my poor little broken toe is actually getting better. I'm learning how to not limp around and look like an idiot so much). Caleb took us kitchen staff out on the boat Thursday afternoon to go tubing, but because of my not-yet-fully-recovered toe and everything, I opted to just stay in the boat and take pictures of everyone else riding.

Friday night, we all went to Jesse's house in Statesville for his birthday and watched Ice Age & hung out. A lot of the staff had to leave that night, which was incredibly sad. Sam, Joe, Dave, Mike, and the list goes on and on. Luckily, Sam lives in Charlotte, and Joe & Dave live in Belmont. So we're definitely going to be hanging out again before the summer's over. I rode with Alex & Katie on the way home, and we ended up taking the super-scenic route back to HCBC. Although we stopped at the Starbucks drive-through, I think it still took us about an hour and a half to finally get back to camp, when it only took us 30 minutes to get to Jesse's house.

Saturday was a day of adventure. I thought I was going to be leaving sometime right after lunch, but those plans soon changed. Me, Leah, Abdallah, and Caroline went to Wal-Mart to get food (did you know they sell subs & deli sandwiches & popcorn chicken & cesar salads at Wal-Mart?!), and took it back to camp to eat it. Jesse & Ryan had built a boat named Slagskepp (Swedish for "battleship"), and they were going to take it out that day on Lake Hickory to see if it floated around 3 or 4 o'clock, so I figured I could stay for that. Turns out, we fit 8 people in a little 6-foot long boat. It was pretty great. Sometime while we were all down on the dock watching Jesse & Ryan paddle around, everyone got thrown into the water -- with our clothes on. But it was all in good fun. We rode back to camp, got into our bathing suits, swam around for about a half hour, then went to Josh & Lauren's for dinner. Chinese chicken & crispy noodles & fortune cookies filled our bellies, while the laughter of all the staff filled our ears. I had to leave at 7:45 so I could be home by 9, and that was really really depressing. But luckily, Leah and I are going back up this coming Saturday to visit everyone again, so I'm pretty pumped about that.

As for right now, I think I'm going to enjoy sitting around in my pajamas all day with nothing to do. Working 60+ hours in the kitchen in one week can really take it out of you.

No comments: